Tuesday, December 27, 2005

Dash

I am in school but still have the itch to work on the Superbee. I have no time to actually do work myself so I've been picking out projects that I can send off to have completed. I am trying to pick out things I would have to send out either way due to a lack of expertise on my part.

The first order of business is the dash (I will likely also do items like bumpers, finish panel, tail lights, and grill inserts as my next projects). I've been doing a considerable amount of research to make sure I get what I want like I want it. There are several places out there that use vinyl overlays or decals to refinish the parts. I'm not a big fan of these methods since I would guess they are more likely to crack and peel. I finally contacted gsdd@ameritech.net in the Chicago area based upon several recommendations. He has the capability to redo the various parts like I feel they should be done.

This is a picture of how my gauges and wood grain look now.
TicToc

This picture is of the vinyl overlay.
overlay L&M

And this is a picture of the wood grain refinished using the original lithograph process.
WG7

I know comparing pictures on the internet is like comparing apples and oranges, but I think I will only be satisfied with the original lithograph process for the wood grain (even though it costs more).

Sometime this spring I hope to post some pictures of my restored gauges and wood grain.

By the way, the big round gauge on the far left is called a tic-toc-tac. There is a clock in the center and a tachometer around the outside of the clock. The original clock is run by a wind-up mechanism. Every time the car is started a servo in the clock winds it up! They have the ability to convert these to a quartz movement, but if mine still works I think I'll leave it alone. How neat is that?

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home